Grolla's Dungeon

English Rosenkreuzstilette Forum
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 RKS English Version Q&A

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TDOMMX

avatar

Posts : 23
Join date : 2010-01-15
Age : 34
Location : Darkside Translations

PostSubject: RKS English Version Q&A   Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Hello, people.

Since there isn't much in the way of publicized RKS news at the moment, I thought I'd take this opportunity to answer whatever questions the English fanbase might have about our localization. If you're curious why we translated a line the way we did, a name we tweaked, or even think you could have done a better job, let us know exactly what's on your mind. Don't be shy; you might get the ball rolling on some exclusive behind-the-scenes commentary in the process. Just be sure to back up your assertions properly or you'll come across as a troll or, worse, a complete smartass.

Ryusui (the Breath of Fire II retranslator) is currently working on a revised version of the script, so we'll be taking all feedback, however minor, into consideration. Quite frankly, I'd prefer to be criticized to my face than have people whine about non-issues behind our backs.

Originally, I wanted to go over the changes we made to the original game as a topic starter and ask for comments on our proposed tweaks as we lay the groundwork for Freudenstachel, but both times my browser got sent to holy hell... Make of that what you will.

If the script isn't fresh in your mind, just check one of the Let's Play videos on YouTube or the text-only version on the Wiki (ordinarily, I'd complain about reposting our work without prior consent, but I'll dismiss the infraction this once since it proved to be useful). Wink

That said, have at it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.darksidetranslations.com/
Puistink/ShivaDF

avatar

Posts : 38
Join date : 2010-01-16

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Why do you have to download from the DLsite?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TDOMMX

avatar

Posts : 23
Join date : 2010-01-15
Age : 34
Location : Darkside Translations

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Puistink/ShivaDF wrote:
Why do you have to download from the DLsite?
Strictly speaking, you don't. If you already have [erka:es]'s original pressing, you can use it with the installer we initially released instead. If you can speak Japanese, you can purchase the game from Melonbooks and patch it with our second installer. This installer is designed for "Rosenkreuzstilette ~[erka:es] The Best~", so you can get the game from any site that offers this version for sale. To my knowledge, all such sites other than DLsite are Japanese-only, and if you speak Japanese, that begs the question of why you'd need the English localization in the first place. Either way, notice that we link to both DLsite and Melonbooks on the RKS project page.

Personally, I recommend using DLsite since I've had no problems using the service (I wouldn't recommend something I hadn't already done myself) and think the site is probably the easiest way for English-speaking gamers to legally acquire a copy of the game (the site is in English, after all). The original game had a low print run (making finding a copy via HimeyShop or PaletWeb difficult, if not impossible) and most prospective users of the English version don't speak Japanese, so this recommendation made the most logical sense to me. Let's not forget that it's the least expensive option currently available (~$13.50 US with no taxes, shipping, or customs or brokerage fees).

I don't think I need to elaborate why we're sticklers for the "legally" part; this is an officially-sanctioned project, you know. We'd like for Rosenkreuzstilette and Freudenstachel to stay that way.

I hope that answers your question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.darksidetranslations.com/
ViperAcidZX

avatar

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-01-15
Age : 26
Location : The living world.

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Well here's a few lines that I thought could of use a bit of tweaking, but I'm guessing it'll be pointless to bring it up...

Rosenkreuzstilette ~Grollschwert~, Grolla Stage (before fighting Spiritia).
Grolla: "Naive, as usual. Whether you believe me is of no import. Just do not stand in my way."
^ I'm thinking that the word "importance" would fit better than "import" in this line.

Rosenkreuzstilette, Iris Stage III (before the Iris Machine).
Iris: "You think a run-of-the-mill Magus like yourself can stand a chance against me, Rosenkreuz reborn? This is why I can't stand commoners... I have transcended humanity. I, Iris Zeppelin, have become a God! A worthless insect like yourself can't hope to stop me."
^ I'm thinking of having "Rosenkreuz reborn" to "Rosenkreuz's rebirth," if that fits with you.

Rosenkreuzstilette, Zeppelin Stage IV (after defeating Count Zeppelin).
Iris: "I was born with absolute power and unparalleled brains. Now, when someone knows everything there is to know about something, they get bored with it. That's the reason I chose to stage this little revolution: to make this world just a little less boring."
^ Would "I was born with absolute power and unparalleled knowledge" sound right with you? The same could go for RKS Grollschwert before fighting Iris in the Final Stage.

Rosenkreuzstilette, Sichte Stage (before fighting Sichte, pre-Grolla battle).
Sichte: "My, my... Such an impertinent fairy. I shall be blunt, then. Tia, we are fighting for a place to belong. There is no shame in what we hope to achieve."
^ I think that "Tia, we are fighting for a place to belong. There is no shame in what we hope to accomplish" would sound better, if that's okay with you.

Rosenkreuzstilette, Freudia Stage (after losing to Freudia).
Freudia: "You disappoint me..."
^ I was thinking "I am disappointed in you, Tia..." would have a stronger feel to it after losing to her.

Rosenkreuzstilette, Freiudia Stage (before fighting Freudia).
Freudia: "Surely you haven't forgotten what happened to our home..."
^ Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Freudia usually avoids contractions (unless Sichte and the Count are the only ones who avoids them entirely)?

That's as much as I can think of. I apologize if this isn't any help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://amethystviper.deviantart.com/
TDOMMX

avatar

Posts : 23
Join date : 2010-01-15
Age : 34
Location : Darkside Translations

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:47 pm

ViperAcidZX wrote:
Well here's a few lines that I thought could of use a bit of tweaking, but I'm guessing it'll be pointless to bring it up...
Considering we're working on a full revision of the script, anything you have to say is worth hearing. Even if that wasn't the case, I appreciate food for thought. It makes for a tasty birthday desert.

ViperAcidZX wrote:
Rosenkreuzstilette ~Grollschwert~, Grolla Stage (before fighting Spiritia).
Grolla: "Naive, as usual. Whether you believe me is of no import. Just do not stand in my way."
^ I'm thinking that the word "importance" would fit better than "import" in this line.
Grolla uses archaic language, so an archaic word is more in-character for her.

ViperAcidZX wrote:
Rosenkreuzstilette, Iris Stage III (before the Iris Machine).
Iris: "You think a run-of-the-mill Magus like yourself can stand a chance against me, Rosenkreuz reborn? This is why I can't stand commoners... I have transcended humanity. I, Iris Zeppelin, have become a God! A worthless insect like yourself can't hope to stop me."
^ I'm thinking of having "Rosenkreuz reborn" to "Rosenkreuz's rebirth," if that fits with you.
I criticized the translation of Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow for this very reason. "Someone's rebirth" is the process of them being reborn. "Rosenkreuz reborn" was a deliberate choice since it's succinct (as opposed to wordy) and it's proper English. I'd have used "the reincarnation of Rosenkreuz" otherwise.

ViperAcidZX wrote:
Rosenkreuzstilette, Zeppelin Stage IV (after defeating Count Zeppelin).
Iris: "I was born with absolute power and unparalleled brains. Now, when someone knows everything there is to know about something, they get bored with it. That's the reason I chose to stage this little revolution: to make this world just a little less boring."
^ Would "I was born with absolute power and unparalleled knowledge" sound right with you? The same could go for RKS Grollschwert before fighting Iris in the Final Stage.
As Iris's grasp of her own sanity twindles, she becomes more motormouthed and cracks in her polite facade become more obvious (hence the more casual word). Also, she's highlighting her own intelligence, not her inherited knowledge (she's an egotist, you know). I'm not opposed to changing the word to read "intelligence"; I'll have to ask The Council.

ViperAcidZX wrote:
Rosenkreuzstilette, Sichte Stage (before fighting Sichte, pre-Grolla battle).
Sichte: "My, my... Such an impertinent fairy. I shall be blunt, then. Tia, we are fighting for a place to belong. There is no shame in what we hope to achieve."
^ I think that "Tia, we are fighting for a place to belong. There is no shame in what we hope to accomplish" would sound better, if that's okay with you.
You can both accomplish your objective and achieve your goal; both expressions are synonymous. "Achieve" is just more in-character for Sichte. Also, reference to Lawrence Blood from the Fatal Fury anime ("Tell me! What do you hope to achieve!?").

ViperAcidZX wrote:
Rosenkreuzstilette, Freudia Stage (after losing to Freudia).
Freudia: "You disappoint me..."
^ I was thinking "I am disappointed in you, Tia..." would have a stronger feel to it after losing to her.
That was my original suggestion, actually. Still, this line is supposed to sting with its brevity, so I prefer Mint's line over my own.

ViperAcidZX wrote:
Rosenkreuzstilette, Freiudia Stage (before fighting Freudia).
Freudia: "Surely you haven't forgotten what happened to our home..."
^ Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Freudia usually avoids contractions (unless Sichte and the Count are the only ones who avoids them entirely)?
Your inference is correct; only Sichte and Zeppelin don't use contractions. Freudia and Grolla use them sparingly, and Iris uses them more often as she becomes more talkative.

ViperAcidZX wrote:
That's as much as I can think of. I apologize if this isn't any help.
Relax. Volunteers should never need to apologize for offering to help.

That said, I've seen most of Ryusui's take on RKS. It's excellent food for thought, though his characterization of Trauare is very different from ours (she sounds much more like Freudia in his take). We're going to combine the best parts of his version with the best parts of ours, so look forward to it.

If you'd like a sneak preview...
Trauare: "Just shut up already. You're an eyesore."
Lilli: "Eeep."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.darksidetranslations.com/
Superjustinbros
Admin
avatar

Posts : 129
Join date : 2009-12-25
Age : 22
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:25 pm

TDOMMX wrote:

If you'd like a sneak preview...
Trauare: "Just shut up already. You're an eyesore."
Lilli: "Eeep."

I died of laughter. Laughing

Oh, and happy birthday, TDOMMX. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
Joseph Staleknight

avatar

Posts : 105
Join date : 2010-01-16
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:28 pm

TDOMMX wrote:
Trauare: "Just shut up already. You're an eyesore."
Lilli: "Eeep."

I so want to sig that now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://josephstaleknight.deviantart.com
Killing_Doll

avatar

Posts : 104
Join date : 2010-01-13
Age : 32
Location : Gensokyô

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Eeeep, poor Lilli !

Happy birthday, too Wink

A revised version of the translation script, already ? I didn't se any major issue in the original one thought, but that's a fine work then again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ViperAcidZX

avatar

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-01-15
Age : 26
Location : The living world.

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Oh wow, Trauare scares me even more than usual. o_o; Well Happy (late) Birthday to you, TDOMMX. ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://amethystviper.deviantart.com/
magusss



Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Sun May 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi guys, i've searched on forum, so i'm not sure if this is the right place (theorically, that is), well, i'm having some unknow problem to play this nice jewell "Rosenkreuzstilette" .

The game crashes without messages at tittle screen,i can see tittle screen for some seconds, then it crashes with no messages. I will show my PC specs:

Windows XP SP3

2GB ram DDR400

Nvidia 6200 512MB

HD 500GB seagate

i don't know if this helps, but i can play "Megamari" flawless.

i've tried all things, compatibility mode, change screen resolution...nothing works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TDOMMX

avatar

Posts : 23
Join date : 2010-01-15
Age : 34
Location : Darkside Translations

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:22 am

magusss wrote:
Hi guys, i've searched on forum, so i'm not sure if this is the right place (theorically, that is), well, i'm having some unknow problem to play this nice jewell "Rosenkreuzstilette" .
Hi, magusss. Truth be told, this is the wrong place to be asking; I haven't been checking this place that often as of late (hence the four-month delay in me getting back to you); you'd have been better off emailing me or visiting the official Darkside Translations forums.

magusss wrote:
The game crashes without messages at tittle screen,i can see tittle screen for some seconds, then it crashes with no messages. [...] i've tried all things, compatibility mode, change screen resolution...nothing works.
This is a pretty common issue, and, unfortunately, I know exactly why it's happening. You're playing a pirated, "pre-patched" copy of the game. The reason the game always crashes at the title screen is because it's looking for a file that's missing from the rip. This is the reason why our installer checks every file before applying the localization - to make sure all of the original files are intact.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm taking the moral high ground here, but the only way around this issue is to actually buy a copy of the game. You can get RKS via digital download at DLsite for 1,260 yen (~$16.25 at today's exchange rate), then follow the instructions in this installer and everything should go smoothly. In the off-chance that the installer doesn't behave, contact me and I'll try and troubleshoot the issue with you.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner; I only received this message a few moments ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.darksidetranslations.com/
Superjustinbros
Admin
avatar

Posts : 129
Join date : 2009-12-25
Age : 22
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:46 pm

Just throwing this out there; We can also use this forum to discuss the new RKS English dub project recently announced on Schwer and Schwer Alike. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com/
Castle Pokemetroid

avatar

Posts : 15
Join date : 2011-03-16
Age : 23
Location : HI

PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Superjustinbros wrote:
Just throwing this out there; We can also use this forum to discuss the new RKS English dub project recently announced on Schwer and Schwer Alike. Smile

I don't think enough people post here for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: RKS English Version Q&A   

Back to top Go down
 
RKS English Version Q&A
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» BHAGAVAD GITA (English version) - Hindu's holy text
» UPDATED[MediaFire]3 Idiots • 2009 • 550MB • X264 DVDRiP • English SubTitles •
» FILM PROPHETE JACOB 1/5 (version Française)
» 40 Hadeeth An-Nawawi
» Saint John Bosco (2004) (ENGLISH)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Grolla's Dungeon :: Rosenkreuzstilette English Project :: General Discussion-
Jump to: